Another day, another conference call, another set of instant messages, some SMS messages and lots of rudeness.
- Joined a conference call without introducing myself.
- Had an Instant Message conversation with someone I have never met and not even said “hello”.
- Looked at my BlackBerry while talking to someone, to check an email.
- Left a conference call to speak to someone else, while the call was still running, and not said anything. I just walked away.
- Created a slide deck while on the same call – for a completely different project. I nearly had to confess to this rudeness and say “I’m sorry, can you say that again”.
- Sent an SMS text message to someone without any pleasantries at all.
- Ignored a phone call – because I knew who was phoning.
- Stopped listening to someone sat next too me, because I was giving more attention to the PC screen in front of me.
- Turned up late to a conference call and didn’t apologised for my lateness. These calls never start on time, do they?
- Ignored a whole set of Instant Message conversations that people are wanting to have with me.
In short – very rude, but very normal.
You might argue that some of this is not really rudeness at all, but that would be putting a gloss onto something that is becoming an endemic issue.
Anyone else like to confess?