Communication remains a challenge to many, including myself.
I’ve found that the following tips really help though:
- Listening is more important than speaking
- If you can, start with a question.
- Too many words are more destructive than too few words.
- Simplicity is far more difficult to achieve than complexity.
- When preparing a message, constantly ask yourself “so what?” and remove everything that is not answering that question.
- A conversation is much more valuable than a presentation.
- Pictures speak a thousand words, but they may not be the words that you are thinking.
- Metaphor and analogy form gateways to understanding.
- Tell people a story, they’ll remember the story much longer than they remember the point of the story. The story will then lead them back to the meaning.
- Just because it’s interesting to you – doesn’t mean that it’s interesting to anyone else.
- Lists are often the worst way of communicating.