Today I returned to work after two weeks away on holiday.
I’m now a few hours in to my first day back and I thought I would reflect on the things that I didn’t miss whilst I was away.
Here are a few of the things I hadn’t missed:
- Forgetting things – there’s something about a holiday return that means that I always forget something.
- Corporate reorganisation emails – yes multiple ones.
- Conference calls – way too many things to mention.
- People putting a conference call on hold – listening to that wonderful beep tone is such a treat.
- Sitting – when I’m on holiday I rarely sit, work is all about sitting.
- The roller-coaster – coming back to work involves a roller-coaster of emotions as you read something, think about the required actions, read something else, think about other actions, read something else and realise that you don’t need to do anything.
- Multiple streams – on holiday there’s normally only one stream of information that I need to concern myself with. If I’m walking, I’m walking. If I’m talking, I’m talking. At work there are always multiple streams that need attention. This all leads to a lack of focus that isn’t good for anyone.
- A lack of control – on holiday I have much more control than I do at work, that’s the reality of work but it doesn’t mean that I like it.
If this sounds to you like a list of complaints, it isn’t, I’m just reflecting on things I’ve observed.