Robert Frost once said:
“The middle of the road is where the white line is-and that’s the worst place to drive.”
But that’s the reality of much of my life – I’m in the middle.
- I’m middle-aged
- I sit, as a member of Generation X, between the baby boomer generation and Generation Y or as they seem to have become the Millenials.
- I work in middle management. There are people above and people below.
- I’m in the middle of the grade structure at my employer.
- I’m of average height.
- Although I used to wear Regular (middle) length trousers at some time in history my trousers have become marked as Short though my legs are no shorter.
- I used to wear tops with an M in them, they normally now have an L instead, probably because I am above average weight.
- I have an average sized waist. Not sure I understand how I can be average height, have an average sized waist, but be above average weight?
- I drive a medium-sized car.
- I have a family that is as close to medium-sized as it’s possible to get without having part of a child.
- I live very close to the geographic middle of the UK, and the geographic middle of Britain (yes they are different things).
- Income is a tricky one, that’s above the median, but there are people earning a lot more than I am and a lot of people earning less. I need to remind myself sometimes that I’m not in the middle here.
- I live in a city that is about as close to having a median (medium) population for the UK as it’s possible to get.
- I think I’m middle class, but that’s difficult to be clear about that these days because, thankfully, the class system isn’t as definitive as it used to be.
- The average tenure at most employers is between 9 and 10 years, my tenure has been significantly longer than that.
- I have an average commute to work for my region.
- I have the average number of connected device.
- Looking on my utility providers web site we use an average amount of energy for our region.
The reality is that we all live our lives in the middle of something, but is that really the worst place to drive?
4 thoughts on “I'm a man in the middle”
.. and like the average person you find it easy to delude yourself, No one who knows you thinks of you as middle/average in any significant way, you are a hugely postitive outlier in most important aspects of life
Thanks for the affirmation Steve.
We are all conduits and focal points at sometime or other Graham…its part of our human condition…Workwise..? you are a great gatekeeper of the flow of common sense and a champ of good thinking… relax and enjoy..
Thanks Kim. I have a long weekend coming up and relax is top of the list of priorities.