Discipline is such a key issue for productive work especially when there are so many distractions around. Let me give you my ultimate time wasting recipe:
- Check your corporate email for unread items.
- Read the first two emails by which time you should be bored
- Wonder what is happening on Twitter.
- Browse through the fresh set of updated. It is essential that you are following enough people to guarantee a fresh crop of tweets every time you look. This is easily done by following a number of news accounts.
- Once bored of tweets skip over to your RSS reader to see if there are any updates. Like twitter it is vital to be following a whole stack of feeds. The syndicated and group blogs are the best for guaranteeing updates on every visit, LifeHacker and BetaNews are good examples.
- Read posts until bored. The key is to never get to the end of your unread list ensuring that return visits result in further reading.
- Continuing the blog theme jump over to your WordPress Dashboard. This is the first of many information sources that you are convinced give you important information each time you visit.
- From your WordPress dashboard take particular interest in one or maybe two vital statistics justifying your next stop – Google Analytics.
- Google Analytics will highlight some interesting searches that have reached your site – it always does. Justify to yourself a quick trip to Google Webmaster Tools for further information.
- If there is any danger of you getting to the end of the statistics before you have successfully wasted enough of your valuable time you can also skip through the Bing Webmaster Tools and the Yahoo Webmaster tools. Three search tools are normally enough, but if you want to waste even more time other search engines are available.
- Your next stop is your personal email – again, read a few posts but never get to the end of the unread items available.
- Hopefully your personal email will highlight some justification for going to Facebook, but if it doesn’t just go there anyway. Don’t waste your time on applications or silly games – that would be a real waste of time. Spend time reading status updates and looking at photos of people you have never met.
- It’s time now to graze through some of the corporate tools that you have available. Portals and dashboards provide more information than you could possible consume. This can soon be justified as work even when you are only mooching around. Justifiable time wasting is the best form.
- The next activity that is vital to your time wasting credibility is your ability to browse around new sites. The BBC is particularly good for this there are endless possibilities in news and Sport.
If you are in danger of having to do some real work, by getting to the end of the list, you can, at any point, return to the top of the list.
If you have followed the guidelines correctly there should always be something to do.
Also, remember that you can carry on these same distractions when away from the office by use of a SmartPhone or other such device. Location should not be an inhibitor.
Following this recipe should ensure that you always look busy and avoid unnecessary activities that may result in something being produced. Alternatively, you could just redefine these activities as work and then you will have completed everything there is to complete.
Working through this kind of distraction reaction process is what I’m sure many people do and will do, but it isn’t good for you, or for your brain. Being able to cope with the lure of these attention giving sirens will be a defining feature of the future workforce.
8 thoughts on “I could spend hours doing this…”
Man, I only knew about 2/3 of those, going to be even more distrac…
Glad I could be of assistance 🙂